Monday, August 07, 2006

A Daddy, Remembered


Dedicated To: Simon Ruiz (1-1-22) (4-4-98)

The other day, as I had nothing to do, I looked out from my window pane
Wishing for raindrops to begin their fall, from the cumulus clouds stretching across the wide open sky, in the middle of the day

I began to think of growing old, and all the faded years, that seemed to have passed me by
I started to think of how it will be, when my time reaches its end
And wondering how close death is, from knocking on my back door

I began to think of my life, and all the memories I've made in my travels toward the fate, that lies ahead of me
The good, the bad, the in between, but most of all the past
Memory of my Daddy came gushing forth, from the hallows of my mind
The last twelve months before he died, became vividly clear, in the shadows of my thoughts

How I recall the anguish felt, in the illness that took his life
The hapless feeling I held inside, on the visits I made each week
For their was nothing I could do to ease the hurt and take the pain away
From this man I loved since birth, only this epitaph is left, of what he means to me

I recall the time I drove him to see his sister, my Aunt, who was his favorite
I think back to when we're young, and the many trips we all would take
How much we laughed, in those bygone days, how I wish I could go back in time, and see him smile again

Another thought, came into view as I rode upon a remembrance, from another time and place, so many years ago
My Daddy, loved to fish, he took me on my first fishing trip
How could I ever forget, the cane poles he brought home that day, for I was all of seven, in the year of '55

On that special fishing trip we took that very day, we traveled down a back road, along the river's edge
When we got to the place along the bank; he said "we'll start here today"
He started showing me how to fish; I'll never forget the view of the river, thru the vestige of the setting sun, in the coolness of the day

When he caught a fish, a catfish he said, how proud was I to have a Daddy, to share this moment with me
Even now, after all these years, I see the smile upon his face, how I miss him so
If only I could turn back the clock, and relive those memories again

Now as I approach the end of my life, I think back to the day my Daddy died
Of how he faced his demise, he showed such dignity filled with grace, as he prepared to be with the Lord

I still remember the look on his face, as he took his last breath in this world
I whispered softly as he started to go, Daddy follow the light to the other side
God will be waiting for you, so have no fear, enjoy your stay

You'll be seeing us all one day, for you did what a Daddy is supposed to do
You took good care of Mom, and the rest of us too, and helped us to become who we are
The love you instilled, in each of our lives, will forever remain in our hearts

Written by: Roland R. Ruiz
August 07, 2006


No comments: