Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Window of Time

Dedicated To: Juan M. I. Valadez

Have you ever wanted to look thru the window of time?
To see what you've left behind

As I lie in this hospice bed, thinking of all my yesterdays
I remember back when I was young, free of the pain, that now becomes a part of me

My carefee days, were filled with zeal, death was not even an afterthought
So eager was I to follow the course, which was so plan for me to see

As I sailed thru life's embrace, not ever thinking the day would come
When my youthful ways would slip away, as I aged with grace, towards my final destiny

Then one day in the prime of life, a pain shot thru my being
The hurt that I endured that day, convinced me of my mortality

In the delirium of the aches, which came deep within my bones?
I knew right then this was real, as the EMS blared down the crowed street

In my 47 years, I have never known the comforts of a hospital bed
Soon I learned how to adjust to the sickness that invaded me, but the worst was yet to come

In between the shots of dope they poured into my veins
I fell as if, I'm in a cloud, as the pain begins to fade

After three days of testing, the Doctors paid a visit
To let me know the score

I remember the overcast of the sky, as I looked out the windowpane
The three of them peered down at me, with the results the tests had shown

"A militant tumor has spread within your bones, you have just weeks to live"
"Their's nothing we can do, but ease the pain", so the Doctors said

I was in total shock as I heard the words that would soon seal my fate
As I watched them leave the room, it began to dawn on me that death was at the door

Now I lie in this hospice bed with only thoughts of my yesteryears to set my mind at ease
I've been a loner all my life, not even siblings have I

My parents died some years ago, and I never found the love a wife, to share sweet dreams with me
So their's nothing to leave behind, not even a friend to say goodbye

But thru all of this, as I lay dying in this bed, I have one final thought
A Pastor paid a visit, just this very day

He told me of the Father in Heaven, who loves me nonetheless, to open heart and soul, to his eternal Son
Just asked for his forgiveness, for he gives it free to all

So I poured out my sins, and prayed with him, as he knelt beside my pillow
Together we asked for God's mercy, thru his holy Son

I felt a tingling touch my heart, as he rose from the side of my bed
I remember his words, as he gave me a hug

For death is just the beginning, a trip we all must make
To reach the home we longed to be, for the rest of eternity

Written by Roland R. Ruiz
October 07, 2006



No comments: