Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Evil Wind

Dedicated To: Manuel Perez

I had a dream the other night, as I tossed and turned, in the early morning hours
About an evil wind that's blowing, across our troubled land

I feel the presence in the air, as it surrounds my wretched soul
A dreaded fear is embedded deeply, in the fiber of my bones

For there is danger in the horizon, it's headed for our eastern shore, in hast it makes its way
Many say it's here already, and I would tend to agree, so I say a silent prayer, for the worst is yet to be

The war has brought a feeling of despair, to a nation so brave and proud
Maybe it's time to shed this honor; we've held since our founding days

This is a different kind of war, unlike the ones we've fought before
We have an enemy who has no fear of taking life, even when it's their own

Our troops each day die one by one, in this God forsaken place
Where death lurks around every corner, in cities so far away

Waiting to steal our sons and daughters, as they march along the streets
Is their no way out with honor, I wonder how this can be

For the President of these United States, must face the reality
To find a way to return our troops, for we aspire to live in peace

I pray that somehow this will be, and God will grant our sovereign nation
A way to end the pain we've endured, since September of 2001

May we pray as one, to end this war, and bring our soldiers home
For they deserve to live out their dreams, for all that they have done

I ask you Lord to grant this prayer, and bring peace to our turbulent soil
This struggle has brought much anguish to us, and we wish you'll end it soon

And send the evil wind that's blowing, back where it belongs

Written by: Roland R. Ruiz
October 15, 2006

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Roland - I share your prayers... the wind is called Terrorism, and it is indeed evil.

Your poem is now included on your IWVPA index with more of your excellent wriitngs.