Friday, September 21, 2007

The Aftermath


Dedicated: Those left homeless by Hurricane Katrina

As I look upon the spot, I left just two years ago this month
I see the emptiness before my eyes, and not much has changed today

A hurricane named Katrina paid a visit that fateful day
She brought much death and damage, to those who stayed and prayed

I was one of many, who decided to leave in haste
For I have seen all this before, have felt the savage of Mother Nature

Her fury contains no mercy, for those who decide to stay
Leaving all I loved to find a safer haven, then the one we left that day

With my children and only memories, we drove from New Orleans in tears
Before the storm came ashore, and raped the city we loved

Now two years have passed, and not much has really changed
The politicians say so much, they all mean so well

But just look around, in between the streets, only dreams remain
Of what this city once was, and now will never be

Written by: Roland R. Ruiz
September 08, 2007

No comments: