Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A Brother Remembers


Dedicated To: Simon Noel Ruiz

I remember the year of '59
The day that you were born

It was the 1st of December
And boy was it cold outside

I need to roll it back a little
To give you a clearer view

It started around 3 am
So early in the morn

Dad did wake me with a shake
To let me know the score

I just turned twelve, two months before
So I guessed he trusted me

He spoke real low
So not to wake our sisters

Who were sleeping so peacefully?
To tell me Mom was ready to deliver

He told me, I was to be in charge
While they were to be away

I remember the words he spoke to me
Just like it was yesterday

"So take good care of your sisters
For probably the rest of the day"

I said yes Sir, as I followed behind
As they marched out the kitchen door

I heard the car's engine, come to life
In the coldness of the night

I remember standing by the door
And thinking of what to do

Wondering if Mom would be alright
As the car sped, into the frozen air

I walked over to our sisters
Who were still so fast asleep?

I looked down at Deanna
With Dolores next to her side

That's when I pondered, what kind of baby
Would you turn out to be?

As I stumbled back to the warm bed
I'd left a while ago

It didn't take very long
To fall asleep again

Later in the frosty morn
The phone began to ring, two long, one short

For a party line we had
I heard dear Dad say ever so clear

"Your Mother and brother are doing fine
So tell the girls, for me"

So that little brother, is how I remember
The day you can to be

I just wish Mom and Dad were here
To fill in, what I left out

Written by: Roland R. Ruiz
March 1, 2007





No comments: