Saturday, October 29, 2005

Orders Given


Dedicated To: Melissa Martinez

As I sit in my easy chair, looking thru the window pane
The hazy day begins to fade, above the maple trees

My son and daughter, brought me here two years before this June
Its been a home away from home, but for me its not the same

For just last night, I lost a friend, who shared this room with me
And now I wonder, how much time, God will grant to me

As I rest in my easy chair, with not much else to do
I sit and think of better times, that filled my life with joy

My wife, my kids, the good, and bad, that made my life complete
The thoughts that I remember most, lie deep within my dreams

April, of 1942, comes clearly into view, I remember being on a ship at sea
That rolled, and pitched, and swayed

The aircraft carrier, USS Hornet was the name, painted proudly on her bow
With rows of planes, B-25's bolted tightly to her deck

With squadron leader, Lt. Col. James Doolittle, a pilot of world renown
He trained our group long and hard, for a mission, only he knows just where

Soon we'll learn to what degree, the targets will turn out to be
I remember the date, 18th of April, in the early morning dew

Orders were given, targets reviewed, time for departure, just hours away
As I sit back in my easy chair, memories flood back to me

The roar of engines, lit up the dawn, in the pitch black open sea
I recall saying a prayer, as Jimmy's engines began to quake

One by one they left the ship, second to last was I
The fear I held within my chest, I left on the carrier's deck

For war does things I cannot explain, orders are what I know
When they arrive, I snap right up, for my duty is ever so clear

A mission has been ordered, and death will ride our wake
I pray, the sting of death, will not touch us today

The ocean blue, beneath my wings, has turned to solid ground
As I fly along a path, I've never seen before

To drop a bomb upon a building, that holds the enemy
Why this plant and the people inside, are to be bombed today

Is not for me to question why, just complete the task
War is hell for those who fight, and for those who'll die today

The stench of death is in the air, it flies along with me
As I wake up, from my easy chair, it all comes back so clear

And now I know my time is near, as I look thru the window pane
The haze has gone, to be replaced, by the coolness of the evening stars

Written by: Roland R. Ruiz
October 25, 2005