Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Roll of The Dice


Laced within the hapless shadow
Which engulfs one's withered soul

Lies the fate of a wayward heart
So listless and out of control

While no virtue exists for the sins
Ingested by the wagers of life

It comes in the roll of the dice
Along with the numbers that follow

Over the years, the eyes of the snake
Has come to be the norm

Which causes so much pain
In the person I've thrived to be

Addiction is not easy to break
No matter how hard one tries

It affects the lives of all around
It's seen in the tears they cry

So whenever I fell the desire
For taking a change on luck

I stir the memories of forgotten harm
I've caused to the those I love

This weakens the corridors of my inner being
As the hurt invades my heart

Reminding me of my selfish ways
As tears stream down my cheeks

I hope that I will not be lost
In the deals and shuffles of life

For the gamble that's made in turning one's life
Can change one's destiny

So I'll pray the good Lord to give me strength
To resist the temptations of sin

Tempering the craving felt deep within
Making me whole again

I trust to be that person, they've longed for
In the love they keep for me

So I can be the man they've needed
To a family in need of one

Not knowing when the bell will toll
This I know for sure

To win a place in the kingdom of heaven
Is a bet worth my soul

Written by: Roland R. Ruiz
April 3, 2008

No comments: