Friday, September 01, 2006

Cabin Boy


Dedicated To: Xavier Christopher Magallanes

Whenever I go back to the sea, it is with a tear in my eye
For I recollect the lad that I was, and the memories flood back to me

I was just short of fifteen, when I boarded a ship
From a pier, on the Bay of St. John's

Due to a friend, who snuck me aboard, a cabin boy I became
So off I sailed to see the world, for I knew I could learn the ways of the sea

If given half of a chance, so I did what was told, and kept to myself
And watched and learned what needed to be done, to keep this vessel afloat

For the years brought me the craft of the trade, and a sailor I soon came to be
I was taught the skills, by the best of the crew, how my hands did burn with the rope

But soon I was able to keep up with the best, and a cabin boy I was no more
For I was a whaler, my home town New Bedford, and I never regretted my move

That was nearly 40 years ago, now I'm landlocked, without a ship to steer my heart, towards the ocean's blue

How hollow my life has become, since the sea which I love, is no longer a part of me
As I look from the shore, towards the horizon, within the misty fog
A ship of fate waits for me, to take me to my new home

Now as my life nears an end, I think of my yesteryears
I pray that my dreams, of the oceans I've sailed

Will be waiting for me, when I dock at the home port of God

Written by: Roland R. Ruiz
September 1, 2006

No comments: