Saturday, March 25, 2006

A Good Son



Dedicated To: Maria Cecilia Ruiz (03/10/24)-(03/28/03)

Three years ago today dear Mother, you left to be with God
I lay upon your tombstone, red roses you like so much

I can't help but think of the day you died, in the home that was your life
As we walked into your bedroom on that early foggy morn
To wait for death, which will stop the pain and take your soul from us

I see the color in your eyes, as I approach your crumpled bed
No need to speak dear Mother, for you send volumes with just your look and stare

I think back to a week ago, when it was just the two of us
In this bedroom you slept in, for over 40 years
I remember those very words, you were able to convey
"You've been a good son, for all these years, so think of me when I go, for I will always love you son"

Tears began to well in me, soon the flow ran down my cheeks
I tried to hold them back, even in the pain you bore it was you who comfort me

Now the week has passed us by, the hospice nurse prepared us well
For this very day, the time has come to say goodbye, as we surround your bed
The daughters and sons you've loved so much, circle you with tears of sadness

To say goodbye to the one we love, to the one who gave us life
Sleep dear Mother, go in peace Dad is waiting on the other side

So take his hand, he'll guide you thru, into a peaceful place
Where pain is just an after thought, in the shadows of your mind

I remember that day, only so well the hurt has never left
I try to put it behind me, and forget the pain of death
To the one who carried me inside, and gave me all her love

Written by: Roland R. Ruiz


1 comment:

alytatt said...

What a strong and emotional poem this is Roland, I found it very, very moving and after reading it had to quickly move on to something else - that is the power of your words.