Friday, March 30, 2007

Dreams & Wonders


Have you ever wanted to ride a shooting star?
Or travel beneath the sea, where no man has tread before

I for one have thought of this, and so much more
As I sit in my wheelchair, without my legs, which I lost in a far away war

So I'll ponder all the dreams and wonders which I'll never do
And try to accomplish in my attitude, all that I can be

I gave my service to the United States Army
In a duty performed with honor, from a land of desert and sun

Were we find ourselves involved in a war, so different from others we fought before
Engaging an enemy who shows no fear of death, even killing themselves

But in doing so, they take so many others, in the innocence of their youth
I can't help but think when it shall end, as the death toll mounts each day

I've often been asked, if the limbs I lost, worth the price I paid
The answer is clear and simple, for a soldier I chose to be

Many others will never be asked, their price of war was death
So their words remain silent, unspoken, but not forgotten, in the memories that's held for them

For myself I'll accept the cards, in the hand that was dealt by fate
And seek the wonders of my dreams, in the years God grants to me

I'll never regret in serving my country, an honor I'll always respect
And I'll pray for peace to invade the hearts, of those who lead this strife

To bring this ordeal to a final conclusion
And call our brave troops back home

Written by: Roland R. Ruiz
March 23, 2007

No comments: